:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: about to place my first order at ace stainless  (Read 38840 times)

jay

about to place my first order at ace stainless
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »

i currently have one kid who wants a ramhorn and a kid who wants a log manifold..

i want enough stock to build 2 more log manifolds

so 4 log manifolds =
3 x 2 90degree bends = 6 90 degree bends
3 x 2 Tee's = 6 tee's

then i figured 20 more 90 degree bends for the ram horn mani
+ 4 feet of straight pipe

was thinking about picking up some tight radius 90degree bends

should i bother with 45's? cant i just cut 1 90degree bend into 2 45's?

sorry if this post is retarded i guess im having buyers remorse lol

i just got my tax return check so im all set to go to harbor frieght to pick up a band saw and welding helmet in the next few days

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
Re: about to place my first order at ace stainless
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »

Why not mandrel bends?
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

bigwig

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:00:16 PM »

Do yourself a favor and talk to CoreyR or CSAddict before you place your order.  I'd also talk to our friends at Mandrel Bends as they are selling pipe bends now.

I'd also think twice if you want to invest all your money into welding gear.

jay

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »

Why not mandrel bends?

going off what jd said all i saw was 16 gauge which i was told was *sigh* flimsy..

also i couldnt get past the whole with or without legs ordeal (ace vs columbia river)

im also going to order a bunch of mild steel flanges and a ss flange for the ramhorn mani from weir

Do yourself a favor and talk to CoreyR or CSAddict before you place your order.  I'd also talk to our friends at Mandrel Bends as they are selling pipe bends now.

I'd also think twice if you want to invest all your money into welding gear.

i talked to coreyR already lol

i didnt know they were selling pipe bends now hmmmm

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »

You should only need 13 bends to be a ramhorn if your using 90's.  then you need 3 90's and 2 t's for a log. unless your not running wategates.

jay

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »

You should only need 13 bends to be a ramhorn if your using 90's.  then you need 3 90's and 2 t's for a log. unless your not running wategates.

yeah external wastegate slipped my mind... nice... i would have ordered extras anyways to get started

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »

I will tell you this order as many as you can because the shipping kills the online places vs local for me atleast. but if you order 50-100 then you have alot to work with and can suck up the shipping.

jay

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »

I will tell you this order as many as you can because the shipping kills the online places vs local for me atleast. but if you order 50-100 then you have alot to work with and can suck up the shipping.

but local places cost more dont they?

what kind of local stores would stock the ss?

I want you to die

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

You clearly don't want a stainless flange for a Ram Horn. It will banana and you will be pissed.

Since when do you weld? Lets see some work sir!!
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »

but local places cost more dont they?

what kind of local stores would stock the ss?

I buy from ferguson, it's a chain plumbing and contractor supplier. I pay $6/e local for the 90's and no shipping. so it depends on how many i need that i choose where i buy. Also i get the straight pipe cheaper also $8/f 20' sticks.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

On the local front I have used FW Web here in CT. Their prices climb and fall all the time so I always have to call and beat them up on every order.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

...Since when do you weld? Lets see some work sir!!

jay

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

You clearly don't want a stainless flange for a Ram Horn. It will banana and you will be pissed.

havent started welding yet!

im about to.

so even if you bolt a ss flange to a head or to a jig to keep it from bending/warping it wont work?

so fuck ~100 dollar ss flanges?

i just figured if its a high end manifold to make it all out of ss...

idk...

I want you to die

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

better get a deposit, people back out very often and you have a track record of getting screwed over
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »

im about to.

so even if you bolt a ss flange to a head or to a jig to keep it from bending/warping it wont work?

idk...

Yeah SS as flange material really doesn't work. T?he heat imput needed to weld a 1/2" flange to a sch10 pipe properly will destroy a SS flange pretty easily.

better get a deposit, people back out very often and you have a track record of getting screwed over

^^^This, i have had more people tell me they want this and that, hell some have delivered cars then want to back out of half there order. they don't understand shit. Be carefull.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »

I find it a bit funny you are taking orders for manifolds when you have never made one. Thats amibitious! or silly......

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

You are setting yourself up for failure.

jay

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »

im about to.

idk...

Yeah SS as flange material really doesn't work. T?he heat imput needed to weld a 1/2" flange to a sch10 pipe properly will destroy a SS flange pretty easily.

^^^This, i have had more people tell me they want this and that, hell some have delivered cars then want to back out of half there order. they don't understand shit. Be carefull.

i dont get it.. why do they have ss flanges then?

so a mild steel flange would work best? it wouldnt rust or flake or any bs like that? meh

thats why im only taking 3 orders.. and im only going to build the log mani without the turbo inlet.. then when they pay me ill cut the log and weld up the turbo flange and external wastegate flange..

if they dont come through then ill just have a log manifold that isnt specialized for anything so it isnt bad...

I find it a bit funny you are taking orders for manifolds when you have never made one. Thats amibitious! or silly......

yeah been through alot of shit.. had someone rear end my car hit and run so i sold it for dirt cheap then used that money + a little cash i had laying arround to pick up the welder..

tax return came in today so ill be ordering up the metal and going to hf for a bandsaw and welding mask..

well see

I want you to die

jay

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »

You are setting yourself up for failure.

well its one of those nagging things that if i dont do ittl just stay in the back of my head "i could have welded manis for a living"

whatever im going for it there are no jobs so fuck it

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »

Have you ever tig welded before? if so post up some pics. If you haven't then how do you expect to build a manifold with no experience?

jay

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 02:18:17 AM »

Have you ever tig welded before? if so post up some pics. If you haven't then how do you expect to build a manifold with no experience?

not trying to downplay the skills required but i cant imagine it being that hard for me..
im a pretty quick learner.. so well see..

ill have my welder hooked up in less than a week hopefully gonna have my metal ordered up by then too

I want you to die

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 02:31:24 AM »

Deffinately in for pix
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »

Well Buk its tough making a "living" making manifolds. Ask anyone that does. I do not. I make one here and there when I feel like it. I have a day job that I don't mind going to.

With that said just remember what everyone says. Clean, clean, clean. Clean the metal, keep the tungsten clean. Everytime you touch or contaminate it STOP, regrind the tungsten and then get back at it. Everytime. No exception. Good root pass on sch 10/40 is a good practice with a cap pass is how I do it. Many only make one pass, but back purge would be a must I would think.  You know the rest. Its just seat time. I would suggest getting started, to leaving the filler in the puddle and make a Z or a C pattern with the torch.

Good luck, hope to see some sick shit come out of the BukFab camp!

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:10 AM »

Oh and get a good 4 1/2" angle grinder and some Norton flap wheels for it. They last a long time and leave a "finished" finish as they grind.

jay

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »

id like to hope i can pull this shit off... thing about me is i dont mind working long hours for pennies a day.. so well see... not to mention back when i cracked the case on my b16 tranny i couldnt find anyone to weld it up for less than 200 lol so maybe i can go off the i want this shit done done for crackhead pricing crowd :p

how do you regrind the tungsten?

I want you to die

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »

To a point
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »

To a point

With the point facing the wheel, NOT perpendicular to it.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

jay

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »

so why do they sell stainless steel flanges? lol

I want you to die

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »

To a point

With the point facing the wheel, NOT perpendicular to it.

oh not this again
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

Hey nig nog hows the crx. Im in for pic's!!!!!!!!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up