:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bringing back the beast... rHMT R/C boat panty SHREDDER  (Read 8549 times)

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
Bringing back the beast... rHMT R/C boat panty SHREDDER
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »

So backstory:

My old man and I built this thing when I was a kid (1985). We were BIG into cars and Boats when I was a kid and he had more money than he knew what to do with.... He did the plane thing for a minute, but crashing them gets stupid. So we built this RETARDED boat. Still have a MRP canard with 3.5 outboard and tuned pipe and tunnel hull as well as the first RC 12i (Associated carpet car) with rear suspension and carbon rear diff with ball bearings...... Oh, and a MINT  RC10 (FIRST aluminum tub buggy).  All 1985-87 vintage. Back in the days, NOTHING. NOTHING would touch it. Im pretty sure today, its still going to be a mean motherfucker that really makes people tilt their heads and go holy shit.

Hes selling his "Main" house and asked if I wanted to come down and take some shit out of the garage  before he threw it away or burried it in storage. I grabbed alot of centimental shit, and couldnt believe he let me take this with the PROMISE of refurbing it:

The boat:

Its a Scale model of the Popeyes chicken offshore boat of the era.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?76051-Life-at-Lake-X-in-the-60s/page62

It was originally designed for 1 .67 inboard motor. We fixed that. Chopped down a dual mount for another boat, cut the single drive out of it and fabbed up 2 for the twin motor setup. Also adapted a rear rudder and transom setup from another twin motor boat. This thing has 2x the motor it was designed for in it AND pipes built for the motors (Not to mention it was run on 40 %, Ill only be putting 20 through it from here on out)

Back in the days it was clocked on radar at 107 MPH, and it gets there in about 2-3 seconds from a water-"roll" LOL... It literally jumps out of the water, kicks the ass end out to the right IIRC  and rides the tips of the props and the rudder. The sound of this fucking thing with 2 tuned motors screaming at 28K rpms is retarded. Seriously. Each motor is good for 6 HP with the pipes that are on it. Do the math  LOL.

Stem to stern shes 44 inches long
2 .67 (11cc) K&B motors with shaved heads and porting
Tuned pipes
Futaba MAGNUM PRO 3 CH radio (Will be upgrading to something more modern for the radio/receiver and building LiI battery packs for it instead of the old NiCds)
Custom motor mounts
Custom drives.

40 percent nitro huffing pigslut.

Pics opf fuel and coolingh lines for reference

Radio box removed and all components taken out (Radio will likely be upgraded to something modern. The tech has come so far and this thing has been jumped out of a lake at about 60-70 MPH due to lost signal back in the day... It will kill someone if it hits them), servos are fine... Super high speed throttle, high speed hi TQ rudder:

And so it begins, teardown, radio and fuel shit out... Ill pull the motors out and the transom shit tonight or during the week so I can get busy stripping the hull and repairing anything that needs it.

Stay tuned.  There will be rape. Serrious 28000 RPM FURIOUS rape.

Ill update as I go through refurbing shit if anyone is into this shit and gives a crap... Probably will anyways...

Ill post vids once the motors have been completely disassembled, cleaned lubed, reassembled and polished up. Probably run them both in the mounts in a vice with a fish tank pump circing water like we used to do on the bench LOL....

Hope to have it dune in a month or so. Should only need a couple hundred bucks thrown at it, maybe 3 and he gave me enough corvette shit this weekend that I have on CL to more than pay for it  :O).

Trying to get everything out so I can start prepping the hull and fixing a couple things to get it ready for paint. Black again, with a big Clay smith woodpecker lpainted on the rear left corner of the boat that wraps around all sides to look like its 3D kindof, reaching to about where the hatch ends up front... ALA my valvecover  :O).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:57:46 AM by bigdaddyvtec »
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
Re: Bringing back the beast... rHMT R/C boat panty SHREDDER
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »

Nice! I love r/c shit. I still have 3 planes, one buggy, one on road and three racing clods. Working on getting the three clods done so me and the kids can have some fun.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

awesome!!! im a big rc fan. i have raced on and offroad and i have a helicopter i cant fly. lol
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »

Motors are out

Motor mount is out... Motors are clean externally.. (looks like all aluminum and brass is going to clean up very nicely)

Brake cleaned the shit out of them, WDed the ex port and carb, barells broike free, it puked a bunch of varnishy shit out of the motors and all moves nicely now. piston aproaching TDC is weird (glow plugs already out) went to take the heads off and see if something wierd is going on (as mentioned they were shaved) but 20 year old allens eat a dick. Heads shattered on 1 on each head to where im going to have to fuck with it more later to get the heads off and make sure all is good, so i loaded em up with WD and theyre just gonna sit till later.

Ill pull all the steering shit and drive cables/ props out of it tomorrow or next weekend. At that point the hull work can start, and I can get it ready for paint. All the injector stacks on the lid weremade by us. They are 7/16 tubing flared at the ends and epoxied at the base t the lid, painted red on the tops. It didnt havethat shit. 2 are missing so I will be making a couple replacements.. Im done for today. Made way more progress than I planned.

REALLLy want to TRY and keep the time correct motors in it. They were almost new when it was put away  (20 years ago) lol. I thik it will all work out. I dont think its the case bearings, I think somethings up with the rotary disk for thew intake. Cant tell till the heads off... I COULD take off the intakes, but Ill mess weith it more during the week, and next wekend if I dont have my fuckin gears for the Accord yet.

:O)

---GFI we build FAST---

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »

In for more, wonder if there is small enough turbo for these?  :noel:

Phate

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »

Badass, I used to love RC boats as a kid, but I never had anything crazier than "toy class" rc boats with way too much motor and battery in them (nikko sea hawk with 2 or 3 7.2V packs shoved in it, and a relay running all the juice straight to a 550 motor geared around 1:4.  Flipped it off a wave and it sank, killed all the electronics).

Actually looking to get another to screw around with this summer, haven't decided on what yet though, but pool-friendly.

I love older RC shit, and getting to use it the way it was.  People were able to get so much out of far from ideal stuff (3-speed mechanical speed controlers for example), and an older rc car or boat with a modern radio or speed control is an awesome thing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:19:16 AM by Phate »
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »

cools shit

but quit using wd40, shit is not a lubricant or penetrating oil
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »

As i brake cleaned the shit out of them, the wd was an intermediat means until i got the heads off (which didnt happen due to the bolts being fucked up, i weill drill them tomorrow), and yes. WD actually does aid in dissolving shit, while not being as harsh as the brake klean. Its fine niggler  :O)

Russ:
There in no way is any need for any kind of power adder other than the 40 percent nitro fuel it already runs. I dsont htink you have your brain wrapped around how violent ly this thing executes 28K rpms worth of FUCK YOU!

I wont have it done by the dyno day or Id show you....  .67 of 1 cubic inch making a bit over 6 HP. Thats around 9.7 HP/CU inch.  N/A. Moving at 28000 RPMs   ;o)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:49:05 AM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:42 AM »

REALLLy want to TRY and keep the time correct motors in it. They were almost new when it was put away  (20 years ago) lol. I thik it will all work out. I dont think its the case bearings, I think somethings up with the rotary disk for thew intake. Cant tell till the heads off... I COULD take off the intakes, but Ill mess weith it more during the week, and next wekend if I dont have my fuckin gears for the Accord yet.

If any meth fuel was left in them, shit could be really fucked up. Methanol+alum=pain.

I'm trying to get my bro's 40" he got for free, 3.5cc outboard deep-v. Won't hold a fucking candle to this thing. Looks extremely bad-ass. FYI you probably know about the radio devices that kill the servos if it gets out of range.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:52:42 AM »

If any meth fuel was left in them, shit could be really fucked up. Methanol+alum=pain.

I'm trying to get my bro's 40" he got for free, 3.5cc outboard deep-v. Won't hold a fucking candle to this thing. Looks extremely bad-ass. FYI you probably know about the radio devices that kill the servos if it gets out of range.

Ill post pics of the canard with the 3.5 outboard with the big ass 7" tuned pipe hanging off it. We cut it down and did alot of work to it. It was fast for a 3.5. Id probably sell the pipe and lower end if your interested, I dont have much interest in the outboard. This bad bitch will be my R/C obsession, and its a fucking handfull  :O) Monetarily as well.

Motors were decommissioned correctly... Somethings weird though... Well see when I get it apart. I have 1 complete parts motor with a fucked up sleeve and piston BUT everything else is mint, and a guy that is ITCHING to machine shit for this thing (Said it made him tingle down there) and Ive been doing alot or searching for stuff I might need for it. Looking good so far.

Ya thats the main reason I want to upgrade the radio. Servos need to zero when it gets out of range. IF this thing gets out... It will really hurt someone.

I sold all the corvette shit tonight my dad gave me he was going to junk for more than enough to fix this thing even if I need to buy parts for the motors.... I could upgrade motors too, but really want to run these SO After I get rid of the Holley 750 he gave me too, it will be a 0 cash outlay deal for parts radio and paint.

---GFI we build FAST---

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

I had a 1/8 scale buggy take off across a frozen lake because it was out of range. Went 3/4 mile at 50mph into a tree, needed a front lower arm mount. That's why I love larger scale R/C!

ATM he's stuck between keeping it w/no money to fix it or getting money from it to get his other cars running. I'll let you know if that changes this summer. My parents live on a lake so I've always wanted a crazy-powerful boat.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:42 PM »

Funny thing... I started trolling videos and shit (in 85-8 there wasnt exactly a huge availability of video camera shit available) and theres a guy that holds a record currently for twin 67s at 107 in a tunnel hull and a bunch of internet geniuses claiming it cant be done.

Shit, this thing was doing that in 86 LOL No Shit. Motors are fine. Pulled the carbs cases and crank out of them. bearings are good. Its just that these are the tapered sleeve style motors. Theyll loosen up once they have heat in them. Internally the motors look BRAND NEW which amazes me Have to drill a couple allen heads off of bolts that are messed up that hold the head button down. Found a complete parts catalog for the motors.

Actually EVERYTHING but the piston and sleeve for the motors is really cheap actually, and these look BRND new inside so, just need to get the heads off and the top end inspected.

More pickys later. I think im going to have fun with this thing. Its all apart now, so off to the hobby shop today for some education on new radios, a bgunch of fuel/ water line, micro baloons, zap a gap, fiberglass, resin and epoxy  :O)  Going to balance the props too I have 2 different sets, 2 different pitches, both VERY close to in balance unbelievably.

Sick.

Game ON.

Think I may have to see if we can get some sort of record since the only people that saw the 107 in 86 were a couple of cops pop talked into clocking it) hence the radar verification of speed and not timing clocks like there using now, a kid and like 6 adults high as fuck on weed and coke.

HAHAHA

There will be rape
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:02:27 PM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »

You should put a seat on the top of that thing and ride it around in the harbor.  You can pick up chicks off of the pier

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »

CORRECTION, TALKED TO POP... BOAT WENT 104. not 107 

MY BAD

---GFI we build FAST---

jabberwock

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

Pull a tiny parasail with it

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »

He didn't lose that much weight. Might be able to ski behind it though.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

flat_black

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »

Shits neat Brian, i bet your dad will be stoked once its all painted back up.. id like to see it in action

My brother puts his cell phone in his boat and GPS's with that.. ghetto kinda dangerous... but it works

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »

This weekend my old man gave me a bunch of corvette shit he had left over for helping him clean out his garage. I sold it all in one lot minus the 750 holley that I have a few people that want.

Numbers correct block, intake some mint tail lenses ac controls New in package GM parts... Looked it all up online and it was worth a bit over 500 bucks. SOld it for 300 in one big lot, sold the backup trans too. Some other shit I had laying around too. Holley will be gone this week so i had some money to spend on the boat.

ALl boat upgrades should be financed by the vette shit so no outlay from me  :O)

Talked to Bob stormer at Stormer hobbies (He has a very vanilla 8 second hatch) and he educated me on the ins and outs of modern radio equipment. This thing will be getting a new digital/fm radio setup with a failsafe that will kill the throttle servo so no big bad things happening at speed if it gets out of range or glitches... Which has happened back in the day.. He loved the boat, going to also upgrade the reciever batteries to LIPO setup. I have a bunch of vintage RC shit he really wanted pics of, so were going to work something out. Including the radio thats IN IT, so it works out.

The motors have been completely dissasembled at this point. They are MINTY, pistons and sleeves included. 1 motor looks brand new. Makes sense, probably is as I have an extra that has a hammered sleeve he had laying around that I dug up too... BUt Ive completely gone through the motors. They are good to go. Weird thing is 1 has a .002 button shim and one has a .005. Going to order a couple new .005s, couple carb gaskets and orings, and 2 new water jackets since they are super cheap. .

You effectively "time" the motors via shimming and fuel by how the fuel burns and compression, but both should be the same. MAkes sense that 1 had a bit of pitting on the head button from detonating... Ill make them both the same and it will be dialed. I cant believe how good the motors are for sitting so long. They are flawless inside.

Boat is GUTTED, will be starting to strip it this weekend and get it to my Brother in law for basecoat of paint and to get the motormount powdercoated.

Shes coming along.

small Insomniac update:

tore down,
cleaned up
douched out
head tolerances checked to verify shim is right
assembly lubed
new glow plug
rebuilding, needed 1 part scavenged from the blown motor I have, and had to rob 2 minor things from the other runner so I have to order a few things for the other motor but its cool as i want to order a couple extra tings anyways)

Aluminum all polished up, wont have to buy new jackets as I hit them with 600 nthen 800 then blue magic and they turned out beautifully. and sitting on my dresser waiting. Ill order the parts to finish the other motor tomorrow. fiure gnext week both motors will be ready, will have the drives apart to see what I need there, and the hull should be all sanded and done this weekend ready for paint...

Going to strip, polish and paint the pipes tomorrow

Turned out pretty fucking sweet for a 25 year old motor. Looks fucking new IRL. Levi always did admire my make shit shiny skills LOL

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:37:53 AM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »

super impressed as  always my friend
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

DOUBLE VISION:

Motor number 2 taken apart, cleaned inspected, lubed and shined up. Both are ready.

New baller radio with optical tach, temp and speed reading  (Obvioulsy only be able to monitor 1 motr which sux as 2 would be SWEET for syncing/tuning the nitro motors).

New Battery pack for the Rx (Battery tech has come SO FAR)

Hull inside has been cleaned up, new hardware for hulls drive shit (stainless) bought... Now the shitty part that ill sandbag on... Stripping this fucker and getting the hull ready for paint. Dads all about it. He cant wait to get it running. When he heard I was at the hobby store yesterday, he told me to wait... bought a brush less boat a set of bigger Li batteries and all the shit I needed for the motors... The radio too LOL.

Pretty sure the boats going back to him LOL..... He lives on his 70 foot boat on Lake union anyways... Makes sense.  Super fun getting him involved in something both of us can fuck with. The Nitro boat is ALOT of work and takes 2 people to run believe it or not. Theres ALOT that has to happen to get them both running stable and the fucker in the water, No way 1 person can do it all.ESPECIALLY with the dramatic weather changes up here, hence him buying the brushless setup (Traxxas Spartan).

With the batteries and shit he bought for it it should do 60-70 and run for 40 minutes a charge LOL

---GFI we build FAST---

flat_black

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »

take that radio back... seriously

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »

take that radio back... seriously

Youre the only one thats said that.

Ive talked to some of the speed run boat guys, they like trhem. Alot. Maybe the one you got sucked... But

Theres an upgraded marine Rx (MR3000) that evidently came in this one you probably didnt have with yours. Theyre saying that the telemetry works 200-300 feet and the range is better... as well as there is multiband shit going on.... Much better range. Also multiple coax antenna.....

Were rocking it. The guy doing 160 or whatever is using it. Loves it

Well see....

---GFI we build FAST---

flat_black

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »

i didnt have a marine receiver, however i ran out of range with telemetry in about 30 feet and my old ass AM traxxas radio setup had much better range.. that is fact..

I hope it works for you, i really liked the radio and its features but the range was terrible so it went back to the hobby store.

Id be tempted to try the one you have but im not going thru my RC car faze at the moment..

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 10:22:25 PM »

i didnt have a marine receiver, however i ran out of range with telemetry in about 30 feet and my old ass AM traxxas radio setup had much better range.. that is fact..

I hope it works for you, i really liked the radio and its features but the range was terrible so it went back to the hobby store.

Id be tempted to try the one you have but im not going thru my RC car faze at the moment..

Well if it works out, Im suyre youll hear about it... If it works on something moving welll over 100 on the water, ittl be fine for your shit  :O)

---GFI we build FAST---

lsone_chevelle

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »

I dabble with boat shit every once and a while.

this one was a big block nitro but I killed it and decided 28 volts sounded like more fun.

shit is lookin wicked!! I love the look of those engines.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »

Do you forget where you're at?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Best $40 I've ever spent.  N rx's are $7 not $50 like the spectrum stuff. 

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »

Pop makes over 200k a year. 250 on a radio to keep this thing in check isn't only cheap its smart. Its come out of the water at 70 before and his buddies had come out of the water and broke a lady's leg on multiple places. The thing is a huge liability. Not worth a fucking 7 dollar receiver and being a cheap nigger. Were using the old dry servos... but all other radio and battery shit is new technology. Its going to sit for a couple weeks while I focus on the accord and the dyno meet... but after that I'll get the hull all shaped up and ready for paint.. then its just putting all the newly refurbished shit back together. If its done and running before the fourth of July I'll be happy.

---GFI we build FAST---

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:52 AM »

Duck tape my GoPro to it and get some P-ripper vids of it when you get it going  :evil:

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:58 AM »

OH fuck yes there will be rape.

---GFI we build FAST---

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

Do you forget where you're at?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Best $40 I've ever spent.  N rx's are $7 not $50 like the spectrum stuff.

Wow, 20 yrs ago that was a $200 radio. I'd have had so much more fun as a kid with those prices.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up