:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decent deal and some engine questions?  (Read 1759 times)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
Decent deal and some engine questions?
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »

I don't really know broken/shell value not do I know much about the H series motors. Found a guy on CL with a 97 Lude (same year as my black one I wish I still had) for $1500. Says blew a head gasket and when finally took apart the pistons/rings/cylinders were a little rusted. He said it's been sitting for about two years now, but covered up.

I doubt I would even want to mess with the motor if it's been sitting that long, but thought about getting a F20B long block to throw in it. Anyone know if this is a direct drop in? All the sensors, PS/AC, intake/exhaust manis bolt up to it? What other concerns would you have with a car that has sat that long? I'm thinking maybe seals dried or suspension issues?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: Decent deal and some engine questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »

The hydraulics in the car will be degraded if not shot (clutch, brakes).

I like the F20Bs, but most of them are the 58mm TB/180 hp automatic version.  The ECU you will get needs to match transmission, and if it's auto you WILL need the F20B transmission as it has 3 wire main and counter shaft speed sensors.  I can walk you through wiring them in place of the two wire sensors, and the one or two pinout changes that go with it.  If that Prelude is auto it will have the mode selector switch and manumatic shifter that the Accord/Torneo's with the F20B got... pretty cool to be in an auto wringing 8K, not fast in those chassis but it makes a nice commuter.

Never stuck one of those swaps in a Prelude chassis, but the H22 PS bracket is needed with (?F23?) crank pulley to make the PS setup work as the F20B doesn't have a 2nd belt pulley for the PS.  Frankly, the H22 pulley should work but IDK never done it.

chris

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »

The auto f20b I got had a sohc throttle body 58mm inlet-55mm plate and a small plenum to match the smaller throttle body

being an automatic motor should be mostly found back by adding a h22 intake manifold/h22 throttle body

I have not checked to see if they do have different cams auto vs 5 spd but my gut tells me the difference in power is the throttle body/plenum found on the automatic vs the 5 spd.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »

Eh I decided not to pick it up. It's about 3hrs away and I don't have a truck or trailer so would have to rent them, not to mention no place to work on it here with it being cold as shit now. Doesn't look bad though. Someone grip it

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1463264129.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up