:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel  (Read 24302 times)

rprznt

Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:12 AM »

hi nogs, from australia

1998 holden rodeo tray.

2.8l turbo diesel 4jb1t, 5s, 4x4, LSD

stock turbo is an ihi rhf5 (ultra tiny, i get full pressure (9psi lol) at 1300rpm in 4th....)  Jew

mods:
cdm cooler, 2.5" dp exhaust and chargepipes, in cabin mbc, boost pyro drive pressure gauges, removed rear canopy and the a/c, moved battery and coolant tank, 30 x 9" bfg a/ts, homemade catchcan,

7 rattle cans of flat black paint
50,000 zip ties

before shot

stock motor  :'(

fluxcore 2.5" dp, cast to mild  :D

you like?
all junkyard exhaust, 2 straight thru mufflers from diesel ford van, reused hangers from old exhaust

when tapping ex mani for drive pressure gauge and pyro, found i couldnt turn the tap wrench.....

until i grabbed a 1/4" extension, perfect fit!

during mock up

cdm cooler and homemade piping, flat black, 2.5" mild, all fluxcore welded. airbox is from a junkyard daihatsu charade hatchback lol

engine bay side, cut 4" hole in bottom of airbox for flow...

ve pump, looking back from radiator

cooler mount bracket visible behind number plate

it was an epically long project, glad this part is done.

next up: bigger turbo tdo4l from wrx, turn up the pump (bosch ve pump by zexel japan), 20psi, steel front bumper, more pics

any q's etc welcome.  8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:48:51 PM by rprznt »
French faggots like Teg2Boo would pour out straight likker because they  don'#39#39t deserve it.
I'#39#39m out rockclimbing / snowboarding / hiking / mtb racing. Be back soon...

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »

I like this. ;D

Are you posting any ripper vids or off road vids when you get the bigger turbo on that?

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »

Looks like there is lots of room for twins. Do you know what the plunger size is in the VE?
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »

That mani looks super restrictive. I like :yes:
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

ochoa

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »

stealth sleeper black FTW

rprznt

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »

Looks like there is lots of room for twins. Do you know what the plunger size is in the VE?

i havent even touched the pump yet. my plan is to crank the boost in the stock 38/52mm turbo to a bit less than choke point, and a bit more mid range and top end fuel.

boost currently 15psi, drive 21 psi max

yes, there is heaps of room in there, if i do twins it could be garrett t04 over 42/52mm mitsu td04l. perhaps. any suggestions.

also looking at a he341ve as a single but worried about comp surge....

cheers
French faggots like Teg2Boo would pour out straight likker because they  don'#39#39t deserve it.
I'#39#39m out rockclimbing / snowboarding / hiking / mtb racing. Be back soon...

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »

Sounds like you are already at the max for the stock turbo. I would be wiling to be with any more boost just comes a ton more drive, and you aren't far off of 1:2 already.

If you are going to do twins with the td04l, I would look at the HE351 60mm, or an HX-40, as the HE351cw might be a touch restrictive on the exhaust side as a primary. HE351VE would work, but you would have to either get the vanes to work (something like aero did) or just set them at a fixed position.

I wonder if you pump has gov springs like a vw, or like a cummins. Either way that would be one of the first things I would do, is mod the gov for more rpm, add some fuel, bump the timing an 1/8" or so, and evaluate from there.

There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

rprznt

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Sounds like you are already at the max for the stock turbo. I would be wiling to be with any more boost just comes a ton more drive, and you aren't far off of 1:2 already.

If you are going to do twins with the td04l, I would look at the HE351 60mm, or an HX-40, as the HE351cw might be a touch restrictive on the exhaust side as a primary. HE351VE would work, but you would have to either get the vanes to work (something like aero did) or just set them at a fixed position.

I wonder if you pump has gov springs like a vw, or like a cummins. Either way that would be one of the first things I would do, is mod the gov for more rpm, add some fuel, bump the timing an 1/8" or so, and evaluate from there.

thanks dvst8r.
time for a street tune today, more fuel should help. ill read up about the timing advance.
im not keen to turn more rpms, it happily revs to over 4k stock, just zero tq above 3400 - drive pressure climbs fast. 4400 rev limit stock.

would a hx35 with 14cm hsg work well for a primary? might have access to one...

:noel:

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »

at what rpm does it start to defuel?
92GSR - mild interest

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »

Great to see anything out of the norm on here.  Wish the US got small diesel pickups

rprznt

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »

Do you know what the plunger size is in the VE?

at what rpm does it start to defuel?

4 cyl

11mm plunger, and as per pump serial number, "governer controlled rpm number" is 1900rpm. i do not know what this means.

has mechanical governer

pump s/n: NP-VE 4/11F1900LNP1685

any clues about the governer number?

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »

HX-35 14cm if it is cheap will work just fine, you can always do a 60mm compressor wheel upgrade if it is limiting you.

1900rpm is pump speed so x 2 for motor speed 3800rpm is where is should start to defuel. I would mod the gov springs so you can at least pull full fuel to 5K. Heck I run stock cummins to 4K, and stock vw td's to 6K.

Adjusting the timing should be nothing more then loosening the front 3 bolts, and then one rear bolt, and pushing it the whole pump towards the head. Might need a ratchet strap, as some times they are sticky.

Back the high rpm screw right out and throw it away, and as you add fuel pull the low rpm screw out to bring the idle back down. Adjust the throttle cable and linkage for full travel.

Pop the top off the ip 4 flat head screws, and index the pin for max depth, shave the nylon washer so that it travels all the way to the deepest point. When you get it apart you will see what I mean, as there will be a rub mark on the pin, use that as a guide for which way to turn it. **Should be so that max depth is towards the Rad** but I have never worked on that particular setup so it may vary.

Dave (Passenger) has made 200whp on a 9mm 4cyl pump. With the 11mm pump maxed out you should be close to 400hp worth of fuel. Stock 12mm VE's on 1st gen cummins will move nearly 500hp of fuel maxed out

If it doesn't already have one, add a lift pump now, set it so the pump sees 15psi or so. This is very important.

If you really want to make some power, I would look at an HY35 with an external gate over something in the 64mm range. The TD04l over an HX-35-14 should be good for 300hp at reasonable egt's and 350hp+ if you ignore the egt gauge. Or you could aways spray it at that point.  O0

rprznt

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »

I would mod the gov springs so you can at least pull full fuel to 5K.

If it doesn't already have one, add a lift pump now, set it so the pump sees 15psi or so. This is very important.

in reality i will only ever rev it to 3700ish anyway, and prob not regularly.

i saw a youtube video and a tech writeup, timing bump, turning fuel cone pin, and star wheel look easy to change.

diagram was useful

i'll remove the high rpm throttle stop pronto.

can i use an inline efi fuel pump with external reg for a lift pump? seems easy to make.....

junkyard bosch 044 here i come.  O0 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:45:35 PM by rprznt »

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »

Yup, an efi fuel pump with an external reg works great.

drivin96

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

tire jack stands ftw

rprznt

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »

tire jack stands ftw

thats damn right, i even have 4x4 wheels for extra height when needed !!  :mexi:

Yup, an efi fuel pump with an external reg works great.

thanks.

if a lift pump not added and the inj pump turned right up, what are some bad things that may happen? damage to ip's internal vane pump?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:29:16 AM by rprznt »

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »

Outright IP fail, it can damage the camplate, and seize the pump.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »

love the jack stands.  they won't ever fail or creel out from under you

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »

I like! Subscribed!

rprznt

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »

Outright IP fail, it can damage the camplate, and seize the pump.

shit  :-X

ill get right onto it then.

I like! Subscribed!

thanks rossnog  O0

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »

I'm all about diesel, and man i wish we had more small diesel engines around here. Only thing i can get my hands on thats worth a shit is the 4bt/6bt/isb cummins..

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »

i've fooled around with several roosamaster db2 injection pumps, and have never seen one sieze up.  however, it isn't ouside the realm of possibility, i would just say highly unlikely.

the 6.5l canister style lift pumps can be had new for $80ish or you can go to advance and buy the little green (mr. gasket i think) ones for 50.  should be enough for what you are doing, but if it doesn't have a lift pump, then you are asking for trouble later on.  think of how much stress you take off the IP when you have at least a small pressure from the lift pump on the intake side of the IP.  as far as a return, i don't know much about your the isuzu return system, but if there is one after the IP then you shouldn't need a regulator

I'm all about diesel, and man i wish we had more small diesel engines around here. Only thing i can get my hands on thats worth a shit is the 4bt/6bt/isb cummins..

worthless 4bt?  how many are around you and how much are these worthless setups selling for?  i know people that would give good money for a running 4bt swap

Random Hero

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »

um, i speak english, and i said WORTH A SHIT. you can find them all over for 500-800 dollars. I currently have 1

got mine out of a fritto's lays panel truck. easy to find but no one ever posts them up for sale.

725lbs tho so heavy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:53:17 PM by Random Hero »

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »

jsut about anything is fixable.  one of my buddies wants one badstyle for his jeep trail rig.  we make biodiesel together in his basement and he has a benz and a 7.3 idi he runs off of grease.  i've looked on craigslist for over a year and never found a fritto's lays truck around this  area, even for sale

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:59:40 PM »

i've fooled around with several roosamaster db2 injection pumps, and have never seen one sieze up.  however, it isn't ouside the realm of possibility, i would just say highly unlikely.

the 6.5l canister style lift pumps can be had new for $80ish or you can go to advance and buy the little green (mr. gasket i think) ones for 50.  should be enough for what you are doing, but if it doesn't have a lift pump, then you are asking for trouble later on.  think of how much stress you take off the IP when you have at least a small pressure from the lift pump on the intake side of the IP.  as far as a return, i don't know much about your the isuzu return system, but if there is one after the IP then you shouldn't need a regulator

How often have you asked them to deliver double or more the fuel that they did stock? I have personally burned through 2 VW bosch VE's and 1 cummins bosch VE. They use the excess fuel for cooling and lubricating the ip, and have been witness to several others. My stock vw tdi doesn't come with a lift pump, but I put one on anyway, it is cheap insurance, and it made extra power as the timing piston didn't have to wait for the case pressure to build with rpm's.

Speaking of the timing piston, there is another mod if you get to the point of really wanting to take the pump to the max.

I kinda doubt given that he is from Australia, or somewhere on the opposite side of the world, that he can just run over to advanced.

I prefer having a decent fuel supply, and regulating it down, vs having a soft fuel supply and worry about a bad tank of diesel, leaving water in my filter, and now instead of having 5psi I have 2psi, and vacuum at WOT.

rprznt

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 08:21:32 PM »

I put one on anyway, it is cheap insurance, and it made extra power as the timing piston didn't have to wait for the case pressure to build with rpm's.

now instead of having 5psi I have 2psi, and vacuum at WOT.

good advice, thanks.

i dont understand the red bit...?

as far as a return, i don't know much about your the isuzu return system, but if there is one after the IP then you shouldn't need a regulator

ill go have a look right now.  :)

DRQPQUT

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »

shit looks fun, but we are gonna need some vids ...stat

rprznt

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »

vids shall come once setup and tuning is done  :D

dvst8r: how is that "fuck a wg" twins setup for the 6bt going? -sexy whitey bends  :noel:

update, went for a 35km drive down the freeway. level road, unloaded, no wind, 12*c.

at 100kph motor turns 2750rpm, 15psi boost, 21ish psi drive. when i nailed the throttle (5th gear) boost started creeping a few psi, drive pressure rose FAST.

silly little turbo.  :-X

egts never go above 450ish*c unloaded, with stock fuelling and timing.

any opinion on a he351ve vgt?

im afraid of comp surge..... only a 2.8l motor

i can control the vains easily, and id not run a wg, exhaust hsg should be big enough, vain position and topend fuelling would control the boost i think.

ideas??

:)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:15:06 PM by rprznt »

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

I put one on anyway, it is cheap insurance, and it made extra power as the timing piston didn't have to wait for the case pressure to build with rpm's.

now instead of having 5psi I have 2psi, and vacuum at WOT.

Sorry let me clarify. So instead of having 5psi at idle, you now have 2psi from the clogged filter, and instead of having positive pressure at WOT you now have vacuum.  VS a higher pressure pump capable of a lot more pressure and volume with an external regulator. Where at idle you have 15psi, WOT you have 15psi, partially clogged filter 15psi ect...

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »

vids shall come once setup and tuning is done  :D

dvst8r: how is that "fuck a wg" twins setup for the 6bt going? -sexy whitey bends  :noel:

update, went for a 35km drive down the freeway. level road, unloaded, no wind, 12*c.

at 100kph motor turns 2750rpm, 15psi boost, 21ish psi drive. when i nailed the throttle (5th gear) boost started creeping a few psi, drive pressure rose FAST.

silly little turbo.  :-X

egts never go above 450ish*c unloaded, with stock fuelling and timing.

any opinion on a he351ve vgt?

im afraid of comp surge..... only a 2.8l motor

i can control the vains easily, and id not run a wg, exhaust hsg should be big enough, vain position and topend fuelling would control the boost i think.

ideas??

:)

The twins are on hold I stole the primary, to use as a secondary on another set (up coming thread, probably in June or so) Probably will have another twin setup done in between those two as well. Lots on the go these days.

Yup, sounds like the tiny turbo is too tiny.

I think the HE351VE would be a little much as a single, it would probably just light, and you would be out of rev's, or have like a 1000rpm power band. As a primary with that td04l secondary it should work well.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up