:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel  (Read 24300 times)

rprznt

Re: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:39:59 AM »

Sorry let me clarify. So instead of having 5psi at idle, you now have 2psi from the clogged filter, and instead of having positive pressure at WOT you now have vacuum.  VS a higher pressure pump capable of a lot more pressure and volume with an external regulator. Where at idle you have 15psi, WOT you have 15psi, partially clogged filter 15psi ect...

makes sense. ill do it next couple of weeks.

update today, removed gas pedal stop screw and high rpm limit screw from ip. turned the fuel pin 1/8th of a turn toward the skinny bit, cranked down starwheel 1 turn. had to turn the idle down alot. still no smoke, but pulls noticably harder in the midrange  :)

tomorrow more fuel pin and star wheel  :evil:

a 20 second long wot pull in top gear gave egts of about 600ish *c, had the mbc screwed all the way shut, boost was spiking off the gauge (25psi+++) then tapering to about 12ish psi. spring in mbc is a bit weak me thinks. off to shops in morning for a heavy mofo spring  O0

unluckily, it seems advancing the pump timing will be difficult. the ip is mounted 2 bolts to timing case and 2 bolts solidly to the engine mount. effectively making it bolted in square, so you cant just rock it over toward the head.

i may try shimming the bottom bolts and ovalling the holes out with round file etc...

shit job, oh well.

thanks for the feedback nignogs.
French faggots like Teg2Boo would pour out straight likker because they  don'#39#39t deserve it.
I'#39#39m out rockclimbing / snowboarding / hiking / mtb racing. Be back soon...

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:56 AM »

There is a guy on 1stgen.org that has built a timing spacer for the ve's you might look into that. Not sure if it will clear your mount isssue though.
92GSR - mild interest

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »

Outright IP fail, it can damage the camplate, and seize the pump.

Camplate damage comes from contamination and high rpm float, lack of positive pressure before the vane side of the pump for power ratings over stock can cause excessive vane wear as well as adding to input shaft seal wear which can cause it to suck in air and cause the same problem.

Don't ask me how I know :P

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »

Camplate damage comes from contamination and high rpm float, lack of positive pressure before the vane side of the pump for power ratings over stock can cause excessive vane wear as well as adding to input shaft seal wear which can cause it to suck in air and cause the same problem.

LOL, speaking of that Andy blew up that 14mm head in short order, but I guess it pushed some massive fuel when it was alive, he saw over 100psi of boost, and only about 110psi drive from what I recall. He has since gone to an 8cyl inline IP, twin feed styles, ala truck puller.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »

LOL, speaking of that Andy blew up that 14mm head in short order, but I guess it pushed some massive fuel when it was alive, he saw over 100psi of boost, and only about 110psi drive from what I recall. He has since gone to an 8cyl inline IP, twin feed styles, ala truck puller.

Really? Damn I haven't talked to Andy in a while, I was wondering how that 14mm head I sent him would work. Does he post anywhere anymore? I'll have to give him a call.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »

I haven't seen him post in quite sometime, but we do pm from time to time on tdiclub, in fact it is the only reason I go there, just to check to see if he has pm'd. 
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

rprznt

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »

Update:

canopy off, toolbox on (cool cat is cool)  8)

in cabin mbc  :noel:

old volvo fmic i was going to use, but was too tall. i was too pussy to cut up my car too much  :-\

mani tapped for drive pressure gauge. 1/8 npt to 1/4 compression fitting, then 1/4 tube to 1/4 push on barb.
had big dramas with the gauge jumping and buzzing, caused by pulsing pressure signal.

RHMT style solution found: pulse damper

2" pvc pipe and caps, 1/8th bsp to 1/4 hose barb fittings, packed tight with stainless steel wool (aka kitchen scouring pads), plumber's silicone sealer, my favourite flat black paint.  it works very well, gauge needle only mooves smoothly, no pulsing  :)

mounted next to the homemade catchcan, which has a lawnmower air filter in it, airbox draws on the crankcase through the filter, removing oil etc. works sweet.

i went out street tuning this arvo with my brother and blew a charge pipe coupler in half! the reason was i put a real heavy spring in homemade mbc and cranked it to the  O0 setting, which spiked to 25+ psi and pipe went bang. it is the elbow off the comp housing, not boost rated, was the stock turbo inlet elbow lol.

new pipe to be made in the morning, ill make it tough!

cranked the star wheel down all the way, and another 1/4 turn of the fuel pin, 1 of 2 nylon fuel pin limit washers removed, throttle cable tightened. far far better throttle response now but still no smoke.

gay tiny turbo is still being a hotrex.

also this ute came with suuper heavy rear leaf springs. stock they have 4 leafs (1 ton payload) this one had 10 leafs, good for 2.5 ton ++++. rides terribly rough and bouncy in the back, and zero traction because it lifts the inside wheel in corners.       

so........

little brother and i ripped spring packs out and made up new combinations of leaves. stock top 3 leafs (curved and thin), then only one bottom load leaf (flat and very thick)  with new centre bolts too.

rides like a dream, for a truck.

arse end sits down on the load leaf with the trailer on and is quite saggy but excellent traction.

more tomorrow.

peace  Jew

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:10:10 PM by rprznt »
French faggots like Teg2Boo would pour out straight likker because they  don'#39#39t deserve it.
I'#39#39m out rockclimbing / snowboarding / hiking / mtb racing. Be back soon...

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »

nice work on the damper for the drive pressure gauge

your bed makes the truck look like a white gator or something

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Phate

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »

utes are so much cooler than what we get for trucks in the states.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

I love those truck tub boxes, way more useful than a pickup box. Where is your egt probe?
92GSR - mild interest

rprznt

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »

I love those truck tub boxes, way more useful than a pickup box. Where is your egt probe?

i really hate the pickups, my other brother has one, it has wheel arch humps, so very much reduced capacity, useless for carrying shit.

like this riced out shitpile for example  :mexi:

my tray is strong but super heavy which really keeps the weight on the back end to get traction lol. its made from 3x3" box steel and 2" angle irons underneath. fits 7 mountain bikes standing up, side by side. useful!

egt probe is in the ex mani directly under the drive pressure bung, pointing straight up. it hides behind the turbo oil drain line. ebay cdm special $60  :D

interior plus egt and boost gauges etc

drive pressure, velcrod to the dash  O0

8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:59:46 PM by rprznt »

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »

Bet that vacuum portion of the gauge sure is useful  :P
92GSR - mild interest

rprznt

Re: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel - Updated
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »

homemade 2.5" exhaust, 2 junkyard mufflers too. red anti rust paint

did work today....

heavy springs before removal

new spring packs made up, extra leaves rmoved

but Dan how you you lift up the heavy ute????

like this!

doing my brother's ute, lifted it up with the top lip of the bucket

doing mine

hard work undoing rusted u-bolts, shit job.

cheers  8)

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

thats sick, i like your style. truck is working out real nice and your cat knows whats up.
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

rprznt

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

thats sick, i like your style. truck is working out real nice and your cat knows whats up.

thanks yuri!

update:
it seems i took out too many springs   :-X and the arse end sits really low now, in a couple of days and some 50kms it settled down quite a bit.

easy to fix, ill put back in the thickest spring i removed, which is from the middle of the spring pack and is quite curved.

another few hours work but at least then it will sit level.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »

Two mufflers seems way overkill, I wonder what the spool up difference and egt difference is open downpipe to dual muffler exhaust?

I like the look, since your pulling your leaves apart again, I would look for some graphite paint, it lets the leaves move easier on top of each other, and makes for a better ride.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

I like the look, since your pulling your leaves apart again, I would look for some graphite paint, it lets the leaves move easier on top of each other, and makes for a better ride.

less squeaks too

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

rprznt

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »

Two mufflers seems way overkill, I wonder what the spool up difference and egt difference is open downpipe to dual muffler exhaust?

they are both fibreglass packed straight through type mufflers, like big resonators, 2.5" all the way.
the lining is perforated steel pipe, no baffles or restriction there .......

i severely hate loud droning exhausts and cop attention, so love 2 mufflers.

i drove it open dp and i wanted to commit suicide with the noise  :-X

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

LOL, I am a little more redneck, I love the 90 right off the turbo, and through the hood.  Just a pair of 3/8"s bolts welded in a cross to keep turbo parts from flying all over.  O0

Aero

• Turbotalk.org
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:21 PM »

Thats the way I swap engines too. haha

rprznt

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »

drove it yesterday, and blew a hole in a charge pipe coupler, double angle elbow right off the compressor

running manly boost too  :evil:

got busy today and made a steel replacement, 2" off the elbow to 2.5" exhaust pipe.

fitted very well, ill use hair spray and some tough hose clamps to prevent blowing off again....

final fitting in enginebay

:)

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »

Looking good, time to give the pump the screws.

rprznt

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »

yep, when i get the lift pump done, and figure out how to keep couplers on grrrrrrrr   >:(

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »

yep, when i get the lift pump done, and figure out how to keep couplers on grrrrrrrr   >:(

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.msg151646#msg151646

A couple pics down is a good solution for that.

rprznt

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

A couple pics down is a good solution for that.

:D

thats outstanding, will do right now, even have fencing pliars because i live on the farm !

rprznt

Re: Build thread: Isuzu Rodeo turbo diesel UPDATED
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »

Hey nogs, update time....

just finished a steel bumper for the ute, protect the rad from sticks, rocks and kangaroos when i'm up in the bush.
25 x 50 x 3mm rectangular steel tubing and some 40 x 3mm gal mesh. flat black rustguard primer and paint

mounting to stock chrome bumper and at bottom to stock bashplate

added electric fuel pump, to lift fuel from the tank. its a posiflow 65 gph model. relay and fuse mounted to chassis, covered in thick grease keep water out.

added rear reversing light, 12v 55w fog light. switched by a relay from std white reversing lights

after only 1000km of driving the filter in my catchcan looked like this....

no good, so i binned it and stuffed can with steel wool   O0

added a rear tray light, handy for camping etc

4 tie down points on tray

snow shovel fits nicely into one of the crossmembers of the tray, painted with red stripes so i dont lose it in snow  :P
retained by a stretched bike tube and cheap D shackle.

my brother and i went up the hills for some early season snow, first time offroad in my ute.
the campsite

did donuts here

old cattlemens hut we visited

waterfalls too, note snow and ice at the bottom. (rare for australian falls...)

cheers  :)

caged

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »

nice pics. did you get any boarding in?
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

rprznt

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »

nice pics. did you get any boarding in?

no dude, not enough snow, next week hell yess!!

:noel:

rprznt

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »

very minor update:

just finished a 2" tray lift. bits of 50 x 50 x 3mm shs with m12 x 75mm grade 8 bolts straight through. now my suspension can fully compress on each side with out the tire hitting the tray  :-X)

did the front upper ball joint flip which is popular in this model. 20ish mm more down travel for nothing (limited by shock and brake line length)
got most of my pos camber back after cranking up the torsion bars up in the front about 35mm... doesnt scrub tires so im happy.

added rear recovery point. (ignore the shackle)
a bit of 10mm plate with a 19mm hole for a lifting chain connector to go through, 10mm grade 80 connector. 2 x m10 grade 8 bolts with nyloc nuts and washers to hold it on. def wont break  :noel:

homemade extended shackles.
1.5" lift in the rear with benefit of better drive shaft angle too. 12 x 50mm plate with 2 x m18 x 130mm grade 8 bolts with spring washers. also wont break.

also got really bogged at the snow, bottomed out on the bashplate and diff  >:( took 1/2 hour to dig out by myself haha.
after digging pic  :D

better update sunday night.

cheers  :)

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »

Nice still not use to seeing snow in those pict.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up