:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 1991 Galant VR-4....forged 2.4L, AWD, T67, etc.... ****SOLD****  (Read 63295 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1991 Galant VR-4....forged 2.4L, AWD, etc, etc... NEW BUILD IN PROGRESS :D
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »

ok, so i drove her to work today (~50miles round trip, city/freeway/traffic) and she did great. stupid CEL was going crazy with some what i assume is false knock from my shit lifters. but other than that was doing ok.
buddy hit me back and said to swing by after work to do a quick flat rate tune on her. took one look at the MAFT, double checked it was plugged in and wondered off, came back with a ecmlink gm maf harness. he went threw all the settings and i was trying to keep up and understand what was going on. fired right off. went out and did some driving and was pretty spot on. did some roll ins to boost, quick adjusts. tried some pulls but the lifters are fubar. they just need replaced. did manage to get some pulls in.

so...
-gonna need to swap to speed density obviously
-lifters goes without saying?
-he suggested cams. said not needed (i have FP2's), but knows someone with some FP4s maybe. and will make way more power. so, yeah.
-SMIM and probably throttle body (wtb: magnus/jmf intake)
-CLUTCH! lol. yeah. did a nice pull in 2nd, into 3rd and jumped some rpm it seemed, then again towards top of 3rd on another pull. (wtb: twin disc and 2g accumulator)
-solid front motor mount. i dont like the movement the engine has.
-what else is my car missing? lol. seems like i have bought everything...

i dont care... still fuckin excited.  :Jew:
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »

Sounds like she really starting to come around!
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »

More pics.......
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

oh yeah. keep forgetting to take pics. maybe I'll do a photoshoot a lunch.
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

lol, just noticed i said i would take pics of the Galant...i didnt.

so a lame ass update. but i feel good about what was done, and thats what counts. couple little things bothering me that i can check off the list...still a couple more.

4WS sticker... i dont have 4WS shit anymore...

GONE!!! 

those caps on the back deck are bothering me too... need to replace/paint/something

didnt even bother to take a pic of this thing on the car. obviously it needed cleaned. but it is also just an ill fitting piece of shit 1g DSM shift boot. the Galant one was 80's accordion style  :o

so i needed something actually new/not shitty looking, that hopefully fit better...

im a fan of the black with red stitched scheme (from my ITR days). and this was cheap as shit on ebay...or amazon. dont remember. like 8bucks though.

i always joked about this...

Spoon Sports/MOMO steering wheel  :P  mounted on a short hub with quick release. i bought this shortly after i got my Integra because i was pissed i left my last one in the CRX, oh and it was a screaming deal. so i put it in the integra. im currently parting that car down so i put it in beater Civic, but why? i like my Galant more, love the steering wheel, and why not? im sure some Honda guys are gonna hate, but i dont care, they annoy me anyway.  :-*

i also fixed my wideband ground. and also put in that new phone mount im sure you can see. wanted my phone in a legit spot to quickly change music...
thats all for now i think.

:Jew:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i tried to click off some pics. only a couple seemed to come out ok...

im loving it. i havent driven my Civic since i got the Galant aligned. gotta say that at first i was not impressed by the BC coilovers. they where bouncy and pissing me off. ride was firm and seems to corner tight. so i have been twisting some knobs on the coilovers. BC instructions said they are factory set to be nice or whatever. i started by giving them 2 clicks all around. then i think i did another full round at 2 clicks. then the fronts another for good measure. pretty good now. i have had the same work commute for years, and several suspension kits of different cars. hate to admit it but probably liked the Tien RE's on my ITR best, liked my Cusco's i had on several cars (but seemed firmer than Tien's). i have a particular stretch of road that is pretty much junk. its a bridge with lots of expansion joints. think the ITR was the only one that could do 70+ without fear of spinal damage lol. the Galant is good to 70.
not tring to compare BC's to Tien RE/Cusco Zero-2's, but for the money they seem to be doing good for me so far.

anyway, im waiting on money and decisions before buying or doing anything else. i do have a decent list of items coming up.
pretty sure im going to be swapping to FP4 cams.... they are meant for a 2.3/2.4 car, vs the FP2's i have that are for a 2.0
havent decided on an intake yet. i did some messaging with JMF... but still not sure if i want a street or race manifold, or a Magnus?
im still planning on throwing the T4 setup on. want to test it and make sure i like the spool/delivery of power.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

shit. so radiator sprung a leak...again. probably could just fix it again. but it is looking pretty sorry. needs to be replaced before i get left stranded.

spent last couple hours looking for radiators. really just looks like the VW style one is gonna be what im looking for.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121393555400?_mwBanner=1 <~is that thing going to be enough? or i really need an AFCO? waiting to hear back on a used one, but he already has told me no on a couple occasions lol.

setup should give me all the room in the world for the T67 setup. we did do some measuring and THINK i should be ok as far as the stock (or is it a DSM?) radiator. but i really dont think my fan will clear the compressor inlet, let alone a tube and filter. and i think that the wastegate/dump will interfere on the drivers side.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President

Just pulling this out of my ass, but I'd guess if it's sized for a 1.8 liter engine from the factory, as long as you have decent airflow to it I'd think you'd be fine? I'd throw it in there...  :mexi:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

well i just fixed it for now... i should have taken pics...but at the same time, i shouldnt have lol. i really wanna say i have patched this 4-5 times from looking at it. but dont remember doing it that many times. think the wastegate hit it enough times to spring a leak on 2 occasions. it has rubbed threw a fin x2 forsure on the passenger side, and looks like once on the drivers. i soldered it up. get it hot enough long enough with the weller, and it sticks...  O0 :mexi: :Jew:

Just pulling this out of my ass, but I'd guess if it's sized for a 1.8 liter engine from the factory, as long as you have decent airflow to it I'd think you'd be fine? I'd throw it in there...  :mexi:

i think its the same radiator for the 1.8-2.0-2.4 galants. dont remember seeing a larger/smaller one in any junkyard cars.

anyway. my car now even with the giant Spearco 2-216 core intercooler will drop to the thermostat/176* on the freeway in anything lower than 80* outside. anything 25mph and lower she will hang in the high 190-200 range. she does NOT like to idle for long. if shit is working tho, the current fan keeps it in check. but it will shoot up to 205 in just a couple mins even when i just get off the freeway.

im hoping moving it forward and more of a fan shroud will keep it from head soaking. plus better fans... ill post more on that as i get that far.

i plan on fitting the T67 here soon. then ill see forsure how much space i have. go from there....

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!

Dustin, you're a baller
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

Dustin, you're a baller

thank you, i try... really i just have no wife/kids/responsibilities...  :-\  or   :noel:

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG

Dustin, you're a baller

thank you, i try... really i just have no wife/kids/responsibilities...  :-\  or   :noel:

Well played, my gf is starting to cut into my car time.... think its time for no more gf :evil: :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i have a buddy that will come over sometimes, think he envys me just some. not even sure he can remember those days anymore. he will look at something and be like "that shit wouldnt fly at my house"... and the stacks of useful parts that are worth money, but i have cut most all that down now, but it use to be bad.

but some here may think im baller, ok. but i still have couple friends building cars that have cooler shit than whats on my car on there parts shelves as spares/old projects with cooler shit on there cars. actually the T67 thats going on my car was the spare parts that my buddy decided to just build into a car cuz he had the shit laying around. its the stuff off the 4g63t Hyundai.

Well played, my gf is starting to cut into my car time.... think its time for no more gf :evil: :noel:

you try to get her into it? or build her a car?.... both could be dangerous.... if so, i didnt suggest it lol.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG

I tough her how to drive stick in 5min, she bought me the roll cage for my crx for my birthday.  She has help any time I need another pair of hands, she just not into it.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i noticed that my #2 tripmeter (thats right, my car has 2 trip counters..i track fuel and oil if your curious or care) was coming close to 3000...

OIL CHANGE...  :o  thats right, i drove my car enough miles to require changing some oil LOL.

yup, maybe the worst build thread update.... maybe.  :-*

oh and...

i bought a bike carrier. was trying to get a roof rack to be a trendy guy, but didnt work out. so picked this up. works well. yes i did think about putting it on the Civic, but then i might have to ride my ass all the way home at some point.   ::)

and actually, i think i paid more for the bike and carrier than i did for the Civic originally lol.

thats about it.... oh something i didnt post here. buddy scored me a fresh set of cams... maybe we will throw them in with some new lifters that i have sitting here at some point... i should paint my spare valvecover...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:00:44 AM by turbohf »

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG

I normally just change my filter every 3k. My oil changes itself.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i fixed (or broke) that on the Galant. it seems to only use about whats left over of the 5th qt there (about .8) over the 3k... depending on how much the valve cover gasket leaks.

the civic is on that system though....well except the changing the filter part...  :-*

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

i bought need cams for her. ForcedPerformace "FP4" cams. they are like the FP2's i have now i guess. but they are designed around the stroker 2.3/2.4 motors vs the stock 2.0's... so low revers vs high reving.

oh also swapped out my problematic ass lifters.

got the new valve cover on... not sure i like 100% the color and how it came out. might redo it again later. or may be lazy and leave it.

ok. so not like same as the old cams, but bigger and better for my setup...  ::)
old cams liked to pull little over 20"... these seem happy at 15"

maybe ill take a video to get the sound of the lope.  ;DDD

so far its a million times better. seems way more driveable, no more knock nanny shutting down my fun.... BUT. seems super apparent with 2 people in the car that the 2600 just doesnt have the clamp it use to. its gonna need replaced. it doesnt seem to be smoking out, but it just isnt going. also on the same note, top end is in need of an intake manifold replacement.

twin disc?
SMIM
T67
Brembo calipers

its just money, right?

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG

Need video of the bumpy idle.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

yeah, didnt think about it till after it was dark.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:25:17 PM by turbohf »

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

I ordered parts for this thing.... maybe I'll work on it. maybe I'll fix oil leak... or maybe it will continue to sit...  ::)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

oh yeah, so i bought this MONTHS ago

wingless trunk lid...im sure this will sit around forever. also have a 92 grill to match it (gold, no pic i guess). so once i get a carbon fiber or JDM vented hood, i might paint them all and put them on.

guy on Galant forum did a run of these. custom cut with my car number  :noel:

work in progress!

out with the old. will be forsale btw. need to clean her up.
EVO3 manifold
FP Red, old school, ported
TiAL 38mm
some cool housing i forgot the name of
etc.

love this trick... 2 broken studs. about 3 pulled studs. fun times.

yeah, i did buy a wastegate off ebay. i honestly just am not going to spend 400+ on a Tial MVS whatever. ran lots of Tial's, and i like them, ran cheap china ones and have worked...moving on.

just for you guys... quality piece of  O0 :mexi: :Jew: engineering. LOL. radiator had to be narrowed to clear intercooler for dual back door short route pipes... tried to take a pic of the soldered patches, but pic just looked like shit. had a clamp wear threw a couple times.

new radiator isnt here yet cuz UPS.

i have test fit pictures with old radiator, but its depressing. so..

i have about 2" from radiator support to the turbo. think i will have enough room once radiator is tucked and fans are on...i hope... wastegate tube is still touching dipstick tube, needs a little more massaging, and the wastegate VBand clamp was touching the PS pump on test fits. so plan was to just hit the clamp with grinder real quick. but i think i will try a shorter belt on the pump first.

thats about it for now. i took a good long stare at her, getting plans. oh and i re studded the head so the turbo manifold has something to bolt to... waiting on radiator and fans. need to make oil drain which might be a bitch as it points at the motor mount, and see how close the down pipe that came with it fits. im sure a 4G63 swapped Hyundai and a Galant use the same downpipe right? LOL.

hope she runs before it snows...  ::)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

fans i bought. think they are suppose to be 10", they are little over 11". hope they flow the 1730cfm they asy.

radiator i ordered. its the cheaper (than an AFCO) aluminum one i found on ebay. about $135. MK1 Golf/Scirroco fitment. looks decent. has nipple for steam port if you have an LS1 lol. also has spot for fan switch.

yeah, not a chance in fuck both fans fitting. oh well. this car doesnt have AC anymore so when its 80+ i probably wont be driving it anymore. same goes with cheaping out on the radiator. BUT i will be building a shroud for the single fan.

this is the fan switch i picked. comes on at like 192-195* and has gasket with it. was $8bucks or so. i liked this one over the others i found because it has that plastic crap in the middle to hopefully protect the terminals from getting broken off if i bump it lol.

i did some more poking around and staring. lower hose will work great, oddly i need to trim 2inch off. but the upper is about 3" too short. will need to see what i can find tomorrow at parts store. fan should clear the turbo even on a shroud without issue.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG

What is the overall width and height?

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

21 x 12.5 x 2.25

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads

21 x 12.5 x 2.25

I'm using that exact type and material radiator on twincharge civic reboot, tucks in the radiator support perfect. :)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

how's the cooling doing in that thing?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads

how's the cooling doing in that thing?

No finish putting it back together, cleaning up the engine bay welding up holes, repaint the bay first then put everything back in.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

so this is the turbohf china aluminum Scirocco/MK2/whatever radiator install.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/261763767683?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT <~ thats what i bought and im installing here.

i did a fair amount of test fitting and beating/bending of the PS 'cooler' lines. was trying to push the radiator as far into the core support as possible.

i drilled some holes right into the core support.

i used these grommets that i cut down to poke into the core support. not sure what the hell these actually go to? maybe an air box resonator from integra? AC condenser from Galant? or mounting grommets from cruise control box? all possibilities or good places for you to look for yours lol.

like it was factory  O0

it was a fair amount of work to get this far. lots of trimming and cutting a big ass hole in sheet metal. its all mounted on low density foam to seal it all up. really happy how this truned out, and how simple it turned out. my plans in my head where all over the place from super ghetto to overly complex welding/bending.etc.

sexy

that is an unmodified upper radiator hose from '92 Eclipse turbo' that i got from O'reilly's. lower one is...well i dont know. i replaced it with something, but i remember it was a bitch finding one i liked. probably Eclipse one also. anyway i cut about 2" out of it oddly enough (original upper was 3" too short)

oh, i also made a little tab on the front side that goes from the back of the headlight (bolt/stud sticking out) to the front of radiator.

now thats it all done and in the car...i want to pull it back out and paint the radiator black lol. probably should have done that first. oh well not that big of a deal.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up