:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Todays machining project  (Read 37758 times)

Passenger

• Certified OG
Re: Todays machining project
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »

Ok so here are some updates on the fixtures.

Op1's all done:

Op2 was just putting 4 counterbores in so that I could hold the sub plates on the tombstone. Op3 was all the pocketing on the face and the side work for the handles:

Thanks to Adam contributing to the shop fund I could afford some nice German made aluminum handles O0

Put the dowels in the sub plate to locate the covers:

And now the subplate with an op1 part sitting on it:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:52:47 PM by Passenger »

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

Photobucket fail.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »

Bummer, what does it look like on your end? Pictures show up fine here...

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »

Bummer, what does it look like on your end? Pictures show up fine here...

Shows up as the photobucket "Sorry. This person moved or deleted this image."
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »

Yeah I am a retard, after I posted them I moved them to the correct album and that broke all the links. Should work now.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

Great success!

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 02:56:57 PM »

Gonna knock this out today one way or another ::)

Op1 parts mounted to op2 fixtures and tombstone:

Robot ride from the load station to the machine receiver:

And inside ready to start blasting chips:

Hopefully some complete pics in the next few hours!

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Finally, finished parts. Now they just have to go out for anodizing, I hope they don't scrap them :-\

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

Adam, did you get your egr delete kit? What do you think?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »

Pretty snazzy.  I guess these are for the guys that just have boatloads of money to dump into their 6.7s?

Didn't know if they are intended to serve any other purpose besides look baller.

That is one hell of a setup.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »

Yeah its for bling. Most of these guys live in their trucks (oil patch) and spent 60-80k on the truck before it rolled off the show room floor, to spend another 5-10k on accessories is nothing.

The covers do look pretty pimp in person, anyone with a 6.7 that has been by the shop has bought one. They are harder to sell over the phone but once guys can hold one they want one. Its just one of those things.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »

Here is the whole batch before anodizing. I'll hopefully have them back in a week from anodizing and then we will engrave them.

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »

Dave, parts look great. Just need to get that manual from you so one of my guys can install it. If you could email to admin@mandrel-bends.com I'd appreciate it.

Adam, did you get your egr delete kit? What do you think?
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »

Has it been said what the retail cost is on one of these?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

civiceggturbo

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

Obviously not crucial, but how flat did they come out, some decent material removal on both ops

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »

Adam, I just sent you the instructions, hope your install goes well.

Philstubs, I think retail is around $450-475 anodized and engraved.

Flatness was way better then expected. We are using Kaiser manifold bar, which we find to be a little more stable then something like say Sapa extruded bar. Not sure why. But we are only .003 twist in these, I think there is just the right amount wall thickness on the walls and the deck is thick enough that is stays really stable.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:13 PM »

That seems like a damn good price for something like that. I guess the automated process helps keep the price down
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

500$ doesnt seem to bad for a big ass piece of billet like that
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

Dave does your maatsura speak yasnak? Just looked at a bunch of mid 90s maatsura toys and they were all speaking yas, not fanuc - which kinda put me off. Dont know squat about that control type. Likes/dislikes?
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

Dave does your maatsura speak yasnak? Just looked at a bunch of mid 90s maatsura toys and they were all speaking yas, not fanuc - which kinda put me off. Dont know squat about that control type. Likes/dislikes?

Yep its running Yasnac i80, very good control, little more powerful and userfriendly then a similar vintage Fanuc, we call Yasnac controllers "fanuc plus". If you are familiar with Fanuc then Yasnac is cake, because it is damn near the same, just has more options stock.

I've had a few Matsuuras all with Yasnac controls. I like them. Matsuura machines are kickass, the only machines comparable are maybe Yasda and Makino. Mori, okuma and Mazak are in a lower bracket. Not that they are bad machines but they just aren't in the same class.

That said if looking at Yasnac I would stick to i80 or J300. The older MX controls are good, but a bit slow by the standards of today. I had an old MX1 control and MX3 control and they are very reliable just old, I think my MX1 was from 84 or 83. I sold it to a friend and he still uses it. So you can get some serious life out of these controls and the iron for that matter.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »

Another nice thing about Yasnac/Yaskawa is that all of their controller and drive manuals are available online for free, they are very good and very detailed, so doing repairs and modifications is a lot easier. Also support from Yaskawa is very good. Unfortunately they no longer make controllers and just do drives and such.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:27 PM »

Off topic, but speed factory is looking for a new company to produce their D2B kit. Not sure how much they are willing to pay per kit but its worth a shot to ask a few question. Spiker seems to be good friends (or atleast knows James).

FYI not sure if this is public knowledge or not. The only reason I know this first hand is I called up Speedfactory and spoke with Matt for a friend who has been waiting almost a year for his kit.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

civiceggturbo

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »

pretty impressive, like the handles on your fixtures too, beats the hell out of trying to rock the fixtures off the tombstone

Used to run a Mat 500 and 760 from the late 80s, both older Yasnac controls. Controls are very similar to a Fanuc, minus the tool offset page, which is pretty minor. Minimal maintenance and they have no problems taking a decent cut compared to a similar size linear guide machine. Big fan of older Matsuuras and would prefer to own one over a similar Fanuc controlled machine.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »

Off topic, but speed factory is looking for a new company to produce their D2B kit. Not sure how much they are willing to pay per kit but its worth a shot to ask a few question. Spiker seems to be good friends (or atleast knows James).

FYI not sure if this is public knowledge or not. The only reason I know this first hand is I called up Speedfactory and spoke with Matt for a friend who has been waiting almost a year for his kit.

Not sure what qts they would need on something like that but its something I could do.

I had an old mc500v2, great machine, also had an ra1 with 10k spindle. They are very bomb proof machines.

klyph

• Proletariat for Life!
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »

Ever thought about doing 80% AR receivers? Don't know the legality in Canaduh, but they're totally unrestricted here. Demand will also probably never be higher.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

Ever thought about doing 80% AR receivers? Don't know the legality in Canaduh, but they're totally unrestricted here. Demand will also probably never be higher.

In the area of Canada I am in, you are likely to get handcuffed for going duck hunting, they will let you go, after you tell them its legal, and they spend an hour on the phone only to find out that yes, it is legal to own a gun, and shoot ducks with it, in the appropriate season with the appropriate licensing...

The majority of people in south west Canada are delusional beyond comprehension when it comes to firearms.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »

In other news the anodizers fucked up the parts. No real surprise there though I guess. I have them at another anodizers shop right now to see if they can fix them. If not I get to start over.

Out of the 21 covers I sent only 5 were good. No surprise they put the 5 good ones in the top of the box ::)

I opened them up checked a couple and thought they were fine, it wasn't until I was getting ready to engrave them I realized they were almost all boned.

Gotta love flushing $9500 down the drain.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »

Fuck that, I would be throwing those fuckers through the anodizers shop window!
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

In other news the anodizers fucked up the parts. No real surprise there though I guess. I have them at another anodizers shop right now to see if they can fix them. If not I get to start over.

Out of the 21 covers I sent only 5 were good. No surprise they put the 5 good ones in the top of the box ::)

I opened them up checked a couple and thought they were fine, it wasn't until I was getting ready to engrave them I realized they were almost all boned.

Gotta love flushing $9500 down the drain.

That is super gay, figures that we pulled out one of each color that was good.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »

Well it looks like they might be repairable, they won't be as bright as they were before, but they should at least be consistent. I went to the new anodizers this morning that I am getting to try and re work them and the cover they stripped and re anodized looks good. We'll see how it turns out.

I'm fighting with the first shop to try and get my money back, its going to be a struggle to just get my money for the butchered anodizing back, you can forget all the other costs (including scrapping the parts).

Seriously, orange peel on an anodized part? Never even heard of it, until now:

Blotchy:

Looks worse in person.

I love owning a machine shop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up