:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Todays machining project  (Read 37775 times)

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
Re: Todays machining project
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

Damn. Is everything more expensive in canada? I calc that out a ~$2.89/lb @ $8k if thats 12" x 20ft 6061? (138.24lb/foot). 
Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »

Damn. Is everything more expensive in canada? I calc that out a ~$2.89/lb @ $8k if thats 12" x 20ft 6061? (138.24lb/foot).

Its a different ballgame when you get into the large diameters, there is little stock available, and the there just isn't much demand for the big stuff.

They are 12' bars (at this size its usually 8'). I just looked up the quote, says $7200 for the two bars. Total weight of 3,190lbs, so about $2.25/lb. Not bad for under 2 weeks delivery. If I wanted to get some mill direct stuff from Russia and could wait a month or two I could get this size for $1.90

Pretty much all the 12" round in the USA is 8' lengths, doesn't work so good for me being that I need 24" and 26" slugs.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »

Ah. We have coast aluminum around here that common stocks up to 16" round. But $2.25/lb is not bad anyway.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »

Ah. We have coast aluminum around here that common stocks up to 16" round. But $2.25/lb is not bad anyway.

But are they 12'ers?

What mill does the aluminum come from?

I can get 8-18" rounds in stock from my local Thyseen Krupp or Alaskan Copper and Brass but not 12'ers.

We talked to Sapa about doing a mill run of 12'ers for us, and they were willing to do it, and we would have gotten great pricing but then one of the guys on this project backed out. And iirc Sapa wanted to run 5 bars minimum. We'll do it next year.

I should mention I am only making 6 tombstones for myself right now. The other 6 are for a friend that has a smaller 5 pallet cell. Early next year I will likely do another run of 6 or so for myself, 6 or more for the same friend I am doing these for now, 10-15 for another friend, and possibly another 5-10 for a different guy. So I should get pretty good at building tombstones here pretty quick.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

I can find out. Everything we get from coast has been 20 footers, including some 8" bar we ran a couple months back.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

Let me know if they can get 20' 12" diameter. I don't know of any mill in the USA was pressing a diameter that large, that long. Alcoa has a press to do it but they've been so backlogged I doubt they would take a simple round profile job like that.

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

if i lived closer i'd come work for you.  what are you using for programming?  working in a plastic injection mould shop is not too exciting.  although, the other day we did use the coolant thru on our new machine to drill 132x 4mm holes 1" deep in P20 tool steel in just over 9 minutes.

aaron

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »

We use Mastercam for mill programming, noggincam or mazatrol for turning, and Solidworks for design.

Only had a half day on Saturday to work on this project, hopefully I'll have all day this nest Saturday to spend on it.

Sawing up bars on the trusty Daito:

Here is the start of the V block cradle for doing the end work:

Here is roughly what the tombstones will look like before the subplates are mounted:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:41:39 PM by Passenger »

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »

Tombstone, like a headstone at a gravesite?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »

Tombstone, like a headstone at a gravesite?

Yeah, its the trade name for these type of fixtures.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

I just wanst sure if it was some industrial part and it was called that because that's what it looked like.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »

Yeah its just because they look like tombstones. In North America our tombstones/gravestones are often more of a two sided type column. In Japan they are often more of a 4 sided type column, afaik these machining type tombstones originated in Japan.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »

Looks like its meant to hold 4 parts at a time for machining?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

Looks like its meant to hold 4 parts at a time for machining?

Or more, typically  you look at stuff like this as "4 parts minimum". In milling, you want to set up as many parts as possible in the machining envelope so that you can amortize rapid movements, tool changes, loading etc.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »

I dig. I fabricate the same way when I can. If I'm cutting an angle with the bandsaw, I try to cut that sane angle all of the required times before switching, or drill one size hole as many times as I can before switching to a different size drill bit.
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:50 PM »

Ive been working at a company walking through a sea of mazaks all week. Seems super inefficient to automate cnc machines on such a large scale in a non-assembly line type environment.

This company pays these dudes 10 bucks an hour to run 4 machines then fires them in 6months to hire a whole new crew.

You jelly, bro?

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:13 AM »

I did that for a while. Spent 80% of my day sitting on a stool, out the part in, clamp it, hit the green button. When its done pull the part out and repeat. Very boring, but $8hr in the 90's when I was 18y/o, it wasn't a bad deal.
obd1>gtgtall

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

It blows my mind these guys are paid so little and are treated so poorly at this company.

I'd say 80% of their staff is temp and is on a get fired/rehired twice for 6 months schedule then they're jobless.

Phate

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »

Please do, I need someone not retarded asap.

Got any use for a mechanical designer who took nothing but CAD/CAM courses to get his bachelor's degree?  Solidworks is my shit.  I've used CNC and manual machines.  Fairly confident I'm not a retard.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:28:53 PM by Phate »
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

mandrel-bends

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »

Dave where you buying your carbide? I've find myself shopping ebay for insert packs, but otherwise it's like carbidedepot.com or some of the copies. The local supply houses seem to mark up 20% on average, and they dont stock anyway.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

The machine shop at the Foundry i work at gets their carbides from MSC and/or ESSCO, if that is helpful?  :noel:

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »

I could mill that shit up with a 5" angle grinder.  :P
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

I dig. I fabricate the same way when I can. If I'm cutting an angle with the bandsaw, I try to cut that sane angle all of the required times before switching, or drill one size hole as many times as I can before switching to a different size drill bit.

You got it! What you are talking about is more amortizing your setups, but the concept is identical. Speaking of amortizing setups, that is exactly why I have this big 27 pallet cell. Most jobs and fixtures are setup once, after that its loading raw stock and adding it the machining schedule. The offsets, probing cycles, tool life etc are all stored in the program, which permanently resides in the control.

You jelly, bro?

Negative. While there might be a good fish somewhere in there I wouldn't bother fishing in that labor pool.

Got any use for a mechanical designer who took nothing but CAD/CAM courses to get his bachelor's degree?  Solidworks is my shit.  I've used CNC and manual machines.  Fairly confident I'm not a retard.

Possibly. It would depend mostly on your capacity for learning new shit, and being objective, and being able to take criticism. Its a small shop, we are focused on doing things the best way possible, I have no problem using an employees idea over mine if its better (happens often enough) and the opposite needs to be true as well. I don't have time to play games with peoples ego's, insecurities etc.

Another issue I have had with people in this position is some people get scared when we tackle new or complicated stuff. I thrive on learning things I don't know, this position best suites someone with the same attitude.

If you do good work, try hard, and learn it would work fine. I always pay accordingly;)

Here is the career section of my page:

http://www.passengerdiesel.com/company/careers.php

Dave where you buying your carbide? I've find myself shopping ebay for insert packs, but otherwise it's like carbidedepot.com or some of the copies. The local supply houses seem to mark up 20% on average, and they dont stock anyway.

Can you be a little more specific? Are you just buying generic inserts? Or solidcarbide endmills, drills etc?

I've personally found that spending the time to find the best inserts for a job and then buying them from the same supplier works best for me. Saving money on carbide has never worked for me from both a purchasing (time required) and a tool life perspective.

For most inserted cutters (facemills, chamfer cutters, insert drills etc) I use:
Iscar (mostly for stainless steels)
Mitsubishi (mostly for aluminum)
Korloy (only aluminum)
Nine (everything)

For drills and taps I usually go to OSG first, then Emuge, Nachi etc.

For carbide endmills, spot drills, chamfer mills etc I use DeBoer, Garr, Emuge, Seco and Iscar.

The machine shop at the Foundry i work at gets their carbides from MSC and/or ESSCO, if that is helpful?  :noel:

I think you mean Enco?

I could mill that shit up with a 5" angle grinder.  :P

Pffft do it with a file O0

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »

No ESSCO is the facility we buy from not the brand of inserts.

We usually get Sandvik or Kennametal for the inserts and tools.  :noel: 

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »

No ESSCO is the facility we buy from not the brand of inserts.

We usually get Sandvik or Kennametal for the inserts and tools.  :noel:

Oh ok. Enco isn't a mfg, they are supply place very much like MSC.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »

All of our turning tooling is mitsubishi - which seems to work fine although we've never tried anything else. We haven't noticed a difference related to the supplier of inserts for the tooling in terms of wear, just in price...? We are running a lot of medium cut cnmg carbide. 

Phate

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »

Sent my stuff along.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2013, 02:20:06 AM »

I want something made by you and kissed by easy e on my truck.

5.9 Heater Grid delete spacer as discussd PLZ :O)

Looking into an intake horn too, or at least a flange to RHMT a sheetmetal one  :)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »

Adam, do you at least have a local mitsu rep or rep from the supplier to make it worth your while paying the extra costs?  My purchasing costs are so high that I rarely care about paying a 20% premium and often higher on most anything.

Phate, got your resume I'll give it a look and get back to you.

Spiker, I haven't found I 5.9 ghd laying around here yet, but I am still looking. I did find some baller stainless flanges for making your own intake horn though, I know you want aluminum but all I can offer are the ss ones. They are 5/8" thick and say passenger on the side I even have some that have some npt ports on the side;) I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:05 AM »

Adam, do you at least have a local mitsu rep or rep from the supplier to make it worth your while paying the extra costs?  My purchasing costs are so high that I rarely care about paying a 20% premium and often higher on most anything.

Phate, got your resume I'll give it a look and get back to you.

Spiker, I haven't found I 5.9 ghd laying around here yet, but I am still looking. I did find some baller stainless flanges for making your own intake horn though, I know you want aluminum but all I can offer are the ss ones. They are 5/8" thick and say passenger on the side I even have some that have some npt ports on the side;) I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

Cool Let me know and post pics. I can live with SS...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up