:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: buks welding thread  (Read 73407 times)

jay

buks welding thread
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »

ill start this off by saying i have a new found respect for welders everywhere

yall niggass be makin dis shit look ez O0

with that said..

i currently grade my

tack welds a c-
they look like ass but get the job done

i dont know why but i cant get a decent tack weld without using filler.. i suck ass

root pass a c+
came out surprisingly good.. since i dont have to hold the filler rod in the other hand im better able to lay down smooth and consistent beads i used 1/16th tungsten with no filler rod

filler pass an f+
i REALLY should have cleaned the metal after i did the root pass before i did a filler/cap pass :noel:
not having a welding table really sucks dick.. and i should have used 3/32nd for the cap/filler pass

right now im waiting for the metal to cool but im confident the next piece i weld up will be better

ill use 3/32nd for the cap pass and ill clean the metal between the root and the cap passes

shitty tack

root pass

filler pass

after cleaning (forgot to clean between root and filler passes.. doh!

tips would be greatly appreciated but if all you want to do is talk shit please post in the cummins discussion thread...

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: buks welding thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »

What are you making?  Pipe bombs?

jay

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:09 PM »

What are you making?  Pipe bombs?
IRA style :noel:

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

WAY TOO hot Jay. Turn it down or move way faster. Whats you gas flow like? clean it better before you start.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

dirty, dirty, dirty.......

you need to put a have decent bevel on that pipe. and clean/buff up the area arounf the weld some. Also  as csaddict said check your gas flow as thats pretty burned up looking.

jay

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:26 PM »

WAY TOO hot Jay. Turn it down or move way faster. Whats you gas flow like? clean it better before you start.

thanks yeah i like the heat where its at but i def neat to move faster

no idea where gas flow is at.. i dont have a flow meter yet :(

dirty, dirty, dirty.......

you need to put a have decent bevel on that pipe. and clean/buff up the area arounf the weld some. Also  as csaddict said check your gas flow as thats pretty burned up looking.

my friend has my angle grinder and my bench grinder has a grove going down the middle of the wheel from the bevels i made so the metal bounces around on it

i need a rest for the pipe and i need to bolt down the angle grinder so i can feel comfortable applying pressure to the metal to get a better bevel

sorry pictures are out of order and im pissed off so i dont care for reorganizing them
basically this time

tackweld was b- dont have a pic of it

root pass f-
i burned two holes right through the shit rofl from too much heat/not moving fast enough

filler pass f+ (again)
first time attempting a decent cap pass with 3/32nd and i kept dipping the damn filler rod into the wrong spot so it stuck.. and i had to use the torch to get it off XD

also i wasnt wearing a glove on the filler rod feeding hand being the typical dumbass that i am filler rod was short and it got hot so i had to drop it a couple times lol

i think attempt number 3 will be halfway decent

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »

Turn the heat down, you don't know jack shit to be saying you "like where it's at". do as told and you will learn. Don't listen and i personally will just sit back and watch the fail insue.

jay

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »

Turn the heat down, you don't know jack shit to be saying you "like where it's at". do as told and you will learn. Don't listen and i personally will just sit back and watch the fail insue.

sorry..

attempt number 3 coming up with less heat

now that i have a newer board in my welder i cant set the max amps for when i have the pedal at 100% lol

what should i set max amps to

dc negative right

should i stick to 1/16th root and 3/32nd cap pass

I want you to die

narfdanarf

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »

Do you not have any flat stock to practice the motion on before you move to pipe?  Also turn the damned amperage down, holes like that won't be caused by not moving fast enough, you are way way way way too hot.  Turn up the gas, buy a fucking flowmeter for fucks sake...actually on second thought you do have a regulator right, you're just missing the gauge?  Cleaning is important, but the correct motion and welder settings are at least 3 times more important, unless you're welding shit that's getting x-rayed.

Also I recommend you practice on some shit that is not stainless, it will handle the heat of a slow torch operator much better.

narfdanarf

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »

I use 1/16" for everythign except really small places which I use some mig wire, and I use 3/32" for head/turbo flanges shit that needs a lot of filler.

jay

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »

Do you not have any flat stock to practice the motion on before you move to pipe?  Also turn the damned amperage down, holes like that won't be caused by not moving fast enough, you are way way way way too hot.  Turn up the gas, buy a fucking flowmeter for fucks sake...actually on second thought you do have a regulator right, you're just missing the gauge?  Cleaning is important, but the correct motion and welder settings are at least 3 times more important, unless you're welding shit that's getting x-rayed.

Also I recommend you practice on some shit that is not stainless, it will handle the heat of a slow torch operator much better.

wish i had flat stock but local metal shop wants an arm and a leg for fucking flat shit even scraps.. i was like WHAT THE FUCK!!!

what amps should i be welding at yeah second try i was running alot hotter XD

i got a regulator just dont have the gauge :/

buying a flow meter really soon...

just dont have the money right now :/

I use 1/16" for everythign except really small places which I use some mig wire, and I use 3/32" for head/turbo flanges shit that needs a lot of filler.

thanks.. i think ill go back to trying 1/16th filler pass again :/

I want you to die

jay

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »

waiting for peeps to chime in before i go at attempt #3 :(

I want you to die

bigwig

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »

You need a flow meter.

I also want you to own up to what really happened with this welding bullshit.

jay

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »

You need a flow meter.

I also want you to own up to what really happened with this welding bullshit.

gonna buy flow meter asap

bought a fucked up welder

paid 100 to get it checked out

gave me 875 dollar repair bill

guy at welding shop was cool as fuck and gave me the board to fix it for free

i tossed it in and welder still didnt work.. called him up and he was cool enough to install it for free but he said since hes doing it for free and on the side it would take him a while

3 weeks later.. welder fixed for free  :noel:

everything else in the thread was trolltasticallyfabulous

I want you to die

jay

I want you to die

narfdanarf

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »

yes.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »

Buy the guy a bottle of booze, goddamn you.

jay

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 11:51:46 PM »

i offered to pay him he refused he said i know youll be a life long customer and thats all he wants

bleh

niggers need to tell me what amps i should be welding at

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 11:54:12 PM »

i set the machine at 80 amps for sch10, and use NO filler on the root and 1/16th on the cap/fill pass.  Use a bit less amps if 80 is to much.

Hotrodlincoln

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »

pretty much what every one else has been saying. to hot, turn it down
kill yourself piss face

jay

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 12:43:14 AM »

i set the machine at 80 amps for sch10, and use NO filler on the root and 1/16th on the cap/fill pass.  Use a bit less amps if 80 is to much.

thanks.

going to try attempt #3 right now.

I want you to die

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 01:09:47 AM »

i offered to pay him he refused he said i know youll be a life long customer and thats all he wants

bleh

niggers need to tell me what amps i should be welding at

buy him a bottle anyways. you'll get discounts for the rest of your life, and a friend to bullshit with everytime you go into the store.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

jay

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 01:23:08 AM »

^^ rofl i might just do that

i got a shock on attempt number three

i think from the arc assist starter/hf start

was a nice shock too i was half asleep so it woke me the fuck up

pictures uploading.. fuck the g1.. this shit used to upload in seconds now it takes 15 minutes all the way up to an hour

anyways

used 1/16th set machine to 75 amps and still burned a hole through

then looked at the pipe and realized my chop saw wasnt cutting straight..

so the areas where the root pass cuts through is because the pipe is uneven there and not a flush fit so instead of the bevel falling in on itself it just makes a hole

so im gonna stop being lazy and finish setting up the band saw tomorrow

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »

your fit up has to be perfect, there can't be gaps anywhere. this is not an option.  Your moving WAY to slow if you burning a hole at 75 amps.

try moving from side to side 1/4" while moving forward on the root just practicing the proper weave. I have done this when i was learning. i would do a dry run of what i was about to do when welding to get the speed/width down. this gives you something to copy when you welding. Trust me it works, also try getting into a rythum.

Yes the pipe might have some minor undercut/ripple to the root pass this is normal, you want a little groove to follow later when you have to add filler. If not the arc will wander and the bead width can become inconsistent.

jay

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »

tack weld

root pass

too tired to finish organizing pics

I want you to die

jay

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 01:49:36 AM »

your fit up has to be perfect, there can't be gaps anywhere. this is not an option.  Your moving WAY to slow if you burning a hole at 75 amps.

try moving from side to side 1/4" while moving forward on the root just practicing the proper weave. I have done this when i was learning. i would do a dry run of what i was about to do when welding to get the speed/width down. this gives you something to copy when you welding. Trust me it works, also try getting into a rythum.

Yes the pipe might have some minor undercut/ripple to the root pass this is normal, you want a little groove to follow later when you have to add filler. If not the arc will wander and the bead width can become inconsistent.

thanks.

i havent tried side to side yet.. just (sadly) up and down rofl

attempt #4 will be tomorrow

thank you rhmt!

I want you to die

jay

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:02 AM »

fyi i have epilepsy so i got shaky hands

so ittl take me a while to get this shit down XD

i havent played guitar in a while so the shaking has gotten worse.. whatever

correct me if im wrong..

but these welds are structurally sound right?

doesnt look like this shit is gonna crack.. they just look like shit right?

and other than burning through.. my root pass is fine right?

I want you to die

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »

No theres not a whole lot about them other then you stuck to peices of metal together thats correct. At this time. Give it some time or alot. and it will start to make sense. But do not think your ready to go out and start making things.

narfdanarf

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »

I'd go get some steel plate from lowes tomorrow and practice running straight lines on it. I think part of your problem is you're not letting the pipe cool enough between arcs.  If the pipe has been heatsoaked to hell you will have problems burning through.   Since you're new and your probably slow, i'd weld like a 1/2" and let it cool then weld another half inch and let it cool...ect ect.  Once your speed picks up you can move the length of your beads up without heatsoaking the shit out of the pipe. 

Another tip, as you're looking at the puddle it needs to be a circle, if it's an oval you're moving too fast or you are too hot and it's not able to cool fully before you move.  It will come you just need practice.

jay

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 03:14:11 AM »

I'd go get some steel plate from lowes tomorrow and practice running straight lines on it. I think part of your problem is you're not letting the pipe cool enough between arcs.  If the pipe has been heatsoaked to hell you will have problems burning through.   Since you're new and your probably slow, i'd weld like a 1/2" and let it cool then weld another half inch and let it cool...ect ect.  Once your speed picks up you can move the length of your beads up without heatsoaking the shit out of the pipe. 

Another tip, as you're looking at the puddle it needs to be a circle, if it's an oval you're moving too fast or you are too hot and it's not able to cool fully before you move.  It will come you just need practice.

thanks but actually the holes happend when i first touched the torch to the material... im 80% sure they happend because the chop saw isnt doing straight cuts anymore and the pieces arent lining up

i will set up the bandsaw tomorrow and will confirm

i just got back from the basement and i did a pass over all 3 welds without filler and damn i could hold the torch there forever almost and it wouldnt burn through

it flattend out the bead and made it look alot more uniform but made it alot wider too

ill try to find some steel plate but right now yo no tango dinero and im sure id rather buy that regulator then get flat steel i hear ya on the puddle

i knew i was dragging the torch too fast lol  i wasnt able to get dimes worth shit (not that i really tried all that much) they were just a stack of ovals

meh

again thank you rhmt

I want you to die

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up